When Napoleon came to Carinthia
From 1809 to 1813 Rennweg am Katschberg belonged to the French Governement Ljubljana. The Napoleonvilla in the district Aschbach, today a protected monument holiday home, recalls this time 200 years ago. The first French invasion of Carinthia took place in 1797 and Napoleon himself set up his military camp on 30 March 1797 in the provincial capital Klagenfurt. The second encounter with French troops occurred early 1801. When Napoleon in 1809 blocked off the Hapsburg empire from the sea after the Treaty of Schönbrunn, he united the transferred territories, Eastern Tyrol, Upper Carinthia west of Pörtschach, Carniola, Gorizia-Gradisca, Trieste and Croatia, the Sava with Istria, Dalmatia and Ragusa to the "Illyrian Provinces".
The monument protected Napoleonvilla was completely renovated in 2005 and adapted as a holiday home. Since then, many avid history fans and visitors from around the world have frequented the building, and used it for family celebrations and cozy holidays. The Napoleonvilla is available all year round.
The French Cottage next door to the Napoleonvilla is an ideal place for couples and small families, for short breaks and visits. It can be booked together with the Napoleonvilla and of course stand alone.